Serious Permissions Problems - URGENT!

Subject: Serious Permissions Problems - URGENT!
From: Bryn Hughes (bhughes@vcc.bc.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 13:49:20 EST

I'm having some serious permissions problems on my netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 system. (Yellow Dog Linux 1.2)

There's something not right about the way permissions are getting inherited. I'm getting things like this:

Create new folder "Folder B" inside "Folder A"... no problem
Create new folder "Folder C" inside "Folder B"... get "You cannot create a folder inside "Folder B" because you do not have sufficient access privileges"

Now, that I could sort of live with... The kicker is, the folder DOES get created!!!! So it says it can't, but does anyways.

I am the owner of all of the above folders and they SEEM to be correctly inheriting permissions from the previous level up.

Now, what's really weird... as I said, Folder C DOES get created. If I open it and then try and create Folder D inside of Folder C, there's no problem! Where is this screwing up?? I can go off and do whatever I want within Folder C, but trying to create anything in Folder B results in the above message. I get the same results when I try and copy a folder into Folder B.

This will happen EVERY time I create a folder within Folder A. I can create Folder "B" fine, but then get errors trying to create anything within it.

Permissions on "Folder A" are set to drwsrwsr-x. New folders created in Folder A get drwxrwxr-x. I know that this is wrong, and manually changing the permissions to be the same as the parent folder will fix the problem for that one folder. Folders created WITHIN Folder C get drwxrwxr-x permissions as well, yet they work fine.

What is going on?!??!?!?!? I'm pulling my hair out!!

Thanks in advance,

Bryn