Re: Netatalk wire speed

Subject: Re: Netatalk wire speed
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 23:45:40 EST

We use good hardware (IBM Netfinity 3000, now the e-server x200), and
we can sustain a single connection of over 9.5MB/sec (that's
megabytes/sec = 100MB copies is about 10 seconds).
The hardware benchmarks at 170MB/sec for the motherboard, and the
RAID does 50MB/sec. Use hdparm to test your system. It's not a
perfect test, but it gives you and rough idea of its potential.

/sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/sda (or hda etc)

Here are the results from a machine we just integrated into a mac studio:

  Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.74 seconds =172.97 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.13 seconds = 56.64 MB/sec

Most operating systems are fairly bad at copying a large number of
small files, it's because of the overhead of directory updates etc
for each little file.

mrad01

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer." Marcus Radich 1999