Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Donald Lee (donlee_nat@icompute.com)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 14:45:10 EST

At 10:03 AM -0600 2/10/01, Duncan Sinclair wrote:

>>The transformations you're using aren't the ones that netatalk does
>>(or at least netatalk did in the past before I turned it off). These
>>are reversible. netatalk does
>>
>>tr '\r' '\n' to Unix and tr '\n' '\r' to Mac OS.
>>
>>That's why people are warning about data corruption.
>
>Guess what? You're wrong. If people are going to try to tell me I'm
>wrong, please do the research first!

My apologies. This is symmetric and reversible, although a little odd. ;->

I still don't see a way to reliably determine the actual type of the data,
but as long as the transformation is reversible, no irreparable harm can
be done by it. This information changes the feature from being dangerous to
being questionable. Questionable features are appropriate as options for
those who have a need.

As atonement for not doing my homework I will go and reexamine some
data files that I had heretofore considered lost due to this transformation
and report back to this list if it is truly reversible (at which
point I will be very happy).

-dgl-