Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Marc Miller (itlm019@mailbox.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 19:09:04 EST

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Duncan Sinclair wrote:

> Steve Freitas writes:
> >I think that is absolutely the right thing to do. I've had this CR/LF thing
> >munge up whole ISOs for me, even when it's turned off.
>
> How????

The right sequence of binary code will translate to MacOS linefeed. If
netatalk intercepts this and translates it to a Unix linefeed, it has just
rewritten a binary file, perhaps even rewritten a program as it's being
copied.

> The AppleVolumes.system really should be split into two different
> files - one with the actual volume info, and a second one for
> files types. I can't remember - can these settings be changed on
> a per-share basis? (Maybe they should even be settable on a
> per-directory basis (a la Apache .htaccess file.)

AppleVolumes.default has the volume info. The .AppleVolumes file in the
user's home directory overrides that default if present.

> I'll repeat again my position: if netatalk is going to have this
> feature, and there's evidence that people want it, then it should
> work properly. People who don't want this feature should be
> unaffected by it.

I agree. But if MacOS no longer specifies whether the data is binary or
text when it's being copied in the first place, there's nothing netatalk
can do about it. If we write a complex algorithm to analyze the file
looking for non-alphanumeric characters in an attempt to determine whether
the file is text or binary, we slow down afpd significantly.

My suggestion: talk to Apple. Get their client side to properly declare
whether the AppleShare transfer is text or binary when it's being copied
and CR/LF will work just fine as is and without damaging binary files.

        /\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller (itlm019@mailbox.ucdavis.edu)
        Computer Room Consultant
        Information Technology/Lab Management
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/