RE: OPI Server ready

Subject: RE: OPI Server ready
From: Michalowski Thierry (Thierry.Michalowski@edipresse.ch)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 03:54:11 EST

Hi,

OPI needs to be far more intelligent that you mention. Just replacing an OPI
comment with a file is no OPI: it has to process other comments, especially
when the high-resolution file is a TIFF file. Just have a look at the
original Adobe OPI 1.3 specs for it.

As a side note, OPI **was** the holy grail for the printing industry, but
since most products fail miserably to be up-to-date with the latest tricks
in image processing, most of the publishing houses I know are trying to
bypass the OPI. Reliability vs performances tradeoff...

Next thing is: you need another tool to build FPO files, for placing them
into your pagination program (such as Quark XPRess). It is true that you
could, in principle, place the high-resolution files, and then print with
OPI enabled. But in such a case you will lose half of the OPI benefits.

There comes again the question for this opi3 product: does it include any
tool for automatic creation of theses FPO files? I've never seen the answer,
and don't want to dig into a bug source tarfile to figure out that kind of
things...thanks to the author for answering, please!

Last thing is also that you fail to mention two things concerning the Helios
solution (but hey, that's not a big deal!).
It runs on Linux (RedHat),and even ships with a ready-to-install Linux
RedHat system on the CD. Helios seems to have been pushing the Linux version
for a year now.
Helios OPI does on-the-fly job processing, provided that the queues are
AppleTalk(PAP)-based only. It is still true that it will locally spool
everything if you are using another printing method (such as pure LPR).
(There is also a proprietary TCP/IP printing method, but I don't know many
RIPs that can do it, Fuji seem to do.)

Sorry if all of this sounds too pedantic, it really shouldn't! But I felt
like I should share my knowledge with others ;-)

HTH
Thierry Michalowski