Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."

Subject: Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."
From: Chris Garrigues (cwg-dated-1c3d47bb1fd82104@deepeddy.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 10:20:43 EST

> From: Walt Reed <walt@terrascope.com>
> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:53:36 -0800
>
> hmm.. i thought you could do an index like that, but it seems you can't anymore, that's
> too bad.
> found this in the help menu:
> "Mounted servers, CD-ROM discs, and read-only disks...do not appear in the Index
> Volumes window." it goes on to say that you can index it "directly on the shared
> volume", which i assume means only if it's a mac, and directly from it's console. you
> can get the contextual menu to give you the option (hold down the "ctrl" and click on
> the volume from the finder) to index, but it doesn't work. sorry about that.
>
> i'd still check his system & make sure he's running 9.0.4. turn off samba if you
> aren't using it, or at least turn it off for now, to eliminate it from the equation.
> is the problem intermitant? i tried to do a sherlock search here (i did 2 @ the same
> time from different machines) and found it slow, but it worked, and my users telnet,
> ftp, samba, etc. do your users open files directly from the server, or do they use
> local copies and update the server (or is there a version control software running)?
> i'm wondering if a file could be getting locked or updated as you said. one of the
> most insidious problems i've had to deal w/ is users trying to include fonts off the
> server in adobe type manager rather than copying them to the local drive, resulting in
> weird startup problems, but that's a whole 'nother issue...
>
> other than that, all i can think of is to make sure nfs isn't somehow on. i know it
> can lock files that are in use.
>
> will keep looking into it.

Thanks. More data: Everybody there is having this problem. About half of the
machines are running 9.1 and the other half will be doing so as well soon.

I've just stopped samba and nfs and have asked him to let me know if it helps.

They do open files directly on the server. I'm not sure exactly what
applications they use, but they're an advertising firm if that gives a clue.
This problem didn't occur when they were using a Mac server.

I'll post again when I know if turning off samba and nfs helped.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination. For an explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.