Building 1.5pre3 for FreeBSD

Subject: Building 1.5pre3 for FreeBSD
From: Ralph Dratman (ralph@maxsoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 13:14:53 EST

Hello.

I am using FreeBSD 3.3 and have Netatalk 4.2 working.
Mostly it seems fine. However, there is a problem with certain
directories when brought up on a Mac. At first there are many items,
then the items "flicker" and mostly disappear, leaving only a few
folders and a file called "[".

I mentioned this on a FreeBSD list and someone said he'd seen a
similar problem and suggested I install the latest version of
Netatalk. I downloaded 1.5pre3 and tried to follow the build
instructions from the README, which go like this:

        1. Set DESTDIR in the root Makefile. DESTDIR is the directory below
            which all binaries will be installed. Setting it causes all
            installation-relative pathnames to be set correctly...

        2. When you've completed the configuration, type "make" at the root of
            the source. This will make all binaries.

I looked for Makefile and found instead Makefile.am and Makefile.in.
Makefile.am contained a line

        DESTDIR =

which I changed to

        DESTDIR = /usr/local/

(Was this correct? Or should I have omitted the trailing slash?).

Then I typed "make" and got back

        make: no target to make.

Question: What did I do wrong and what should I do now?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ralph Dratman