Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Duncan Sinclair (sinclair@dis.strath.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 07:08:28 EST

Hi Folks,

Donald Lee writes:
>If I may add my two cents, I think it's a bad idea for the filesystem to
>effectively blindly fondle and convert the data. There are plenty of tools
>out there, like bbedit, that handle text files regardless of how their
>line endings are done.
>
>The downside of a problem with the CR/LF "feature" is irretrievably corrupted
>data. What you get for this is arguably a minor "convenience".
>
>I think it's a bad trade.
>
>I keep it turned off, and recommend this to all who ask.

This is the sort of thing I mean. I know that BBEdit handles Unix
files transparently. That's not what I'm interested in. I want to
edit Mac-produced files on the Unix end. Vi doesn't "do" Mac-style
line endings. Nor does any other unix utility. Nor should they.

Typical example... I have users that edit HTML pages using their
favourite HTML editor and then copy their pages to my server. I later
may want to edit their pages from my Sun. I first have to do the cr/lf
conversion myself. I wouldn't have to do this if the cr/lf translation
worked properly.

If the cr/lf translation is done right there is _no_ corruption of
data, unless you try to do silly thing like edit binary files with
a text editor - a guarenteed way of corrupting data without any help
from the filesystem.

 [ A correctly configured netatalk setup only does cr/lf translation on
 Mac-produced TEXT files, and Unix-created files that by their
 extension are recognised as text by netatalk. You should not configure
 netatalk to assume that unix files are text when it doesn't have a
 recognised extension. ]

If you don't want to use the cr/lf translation, then don't, but while
the feature exists in netatalk, it would be nice if it actually worked.

Cheers,

Duncan.