Re: Chooser Problems...

Subject: Re: Chooser Problems...
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 23:22:27 EST

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001, Bean Visger wrote:
> ah yes, sorry I didn't include that as well, it is running, and I am
> able to connect via IP address from the chooser, it just won't show
> in the list. thx :)
>
> -Bean
>
> >I could be wrong, but it seems like you don't have appletalk support in
> >your kernel. Are you sure Netatalk is running at all? Can you connect at
> >all (with an IP addy?)
> >A default kernel won't have appletalk support. You'll have to add:
> >options NETATALK
> >and recompile your kernel, then (sorry) reboot.
> >
> >-Bill
> >
> >Bean Visger wrote:
> >>
> >> howdy, trying to get the server name to show up in Chooser,
> >> webmonkeys are lazy and don't like typing in IP address...
> >>
> >> here are the specs:
> >>
> >> FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE
> >> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1
> >>
> >> content of atalkd.conf:
> >> fxp0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.103
> >> content of afpd.conf:
> >> servo "Tom Servo" -transall
> >>
> >> when I try & restart netatalk, I get these syslog messages:
> >>
> >> Feb 2 15:51:14 servo papd[30656]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
> >> Feb 2 15:51:14 servo papd[30656]: atp_open: Protocol not supported
> >> Feb 2 15:51:14 servo afpd[30658]: main: atp_open: Protocol not supported
> >>
> >> any ideas? it almost sounds like netatalk isn't shutting down /
> >> starting up properly... I'd really rather not reboot the box, I'm an
> >> uptime whore :)
> >>
> > > thanks,
> > > -Rebecca 'Bean' Visger
> > > System Administrator / Smith & Jones

I thought they would be necessary in any case to make appletalk work,
but do you have the appletalk entries in your /etc/services:

#
# make apple talk more friendly
#
rtmp 1/ddp # Routing Table Maintenance Protocol
nbp 2/ddp # Name Binding Protocol
echo 4/ddp # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
zip 6/ddp # Zone Information Protocol

#
# Appletalk
#
afpovertcp 548/tcp # AFP over TCP
afpovertcp 548/udp # AFP over UCP

?

Just an idea, since your server doesn't show up in the chooser list.

Regards

        Carsten