Re: Using netatalk to share mounted volume

Subject: Re: Using netatalk to share mounted volume
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 07:04:21 EST

        Edward, this is way off-topic, but how did you do this? You
mounted Windows through Samba? Or some kind of wacky Windows NFS
client?

        Ryan

>In our current environment we were attempting to have
>a Windows 2000 file server host files for both Macs
>and PCs. Apparently however, Mac file sharing for
>Win2k has a serious bug that causes it to crash the
>server a few times every day. What I am considering
>would be to setup a Linux box and mount the Windows
>2000 file share on the Linux box and then share this
>mounted volume out to Macs using netatalk. I have
>tested this and it works fine on a small scale. One
>thing that I am still wondering is as follows.. Win2k
>Mac file services will build a file and directory
>index of the entire volume which becomes very large
>with hundreds of thousands of files. Over a network
>this would be horrible. Does netatalk build a file
>index such as this?
>Is there any reason this would not work well on a
>larger scale?
>
>Thanks again,
>-Ed

>Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
Thomas Watson, founder of IBM