Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

Subject: Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied
From: Duncan Sinclair (sinclair@dis.strath.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:33:52 EST

Ray Zimmerman writes:
>OK, that's makes three of us ... does anyone see any problems with this?
>
>I think ideally netatalk should have a config option to allow it
>choose between the following 3 behaviors:
>
>1. Don't make dotfiles available to the Mac (current behavior).
>2. Make dotfiles available as visible files with no name change.
>3. Make dotfiles available as invisible files with the '.' stripped off.

Option 3 wouldn't work. It's possible you could have two files:
  1) .foo - not marked hidden in the AppleDouble info.
  2) foo - marked hidden in AppleDouble info.
These files whould end up the same when served to the Mac. Likewise
most other "file munging" that you could imagine.

Instead it should be:
3. Make dotfiles available as invisible files with no name change.

Cheers,

Duncan.