Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

Subject: Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied
From: Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 08:41:56 EST

Hi,

> MacOS is not dumb at all about this. What it's doing makes perfect sense!
> Files beginning with a dot on MacOS are normally considered to be disk driver
> files. You can't see these files and copying them to your hard drive could
> cause problems later.

Ah, I see. I didn't know about 'disk driver' files. So what you're saying is
that MacOS knows 'dot' are there, but it doesn't copy them because it thinks
they're something else.

> MacOS does have a notion of hidden files. They are simply called invisible
> files. Based on what you're saying, it could be said that the problem stems
> from UNIX systems having no notion of forked files. If they did, then a Mac
> file server on UNIX would be much easier to implement.

Yes, you could put it that way as well... :) I suppose an implementation of
forked files is why Windows NT4/2000 has always had AppleTalk file sharing,
as the NTFS filesystem also has 'streams', as MS call them.

So anyway, I'll just have to continue to copy my .htaccess and .htpasswd
files in a command prompt on the Netatalk server, as this is really neither
a Netatalk or MacOS problem.

Regards,

Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)