Re: tcpwrappers & inetd.conf

Subject: Re: tcpwrappers & inetd.conf
From: Steve Devine (sdevine@msu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 14:10:42 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, andrew morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Steve Devine wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I have been trying to implement tcpwrappers and netatalk in order to limit
> > connections via hosts.allow and hosts.deny. I have seen statements in archives
> > stating that the inetd.conf file is to be left alone. All seem to advocate an
> > entry in the services file as such:
> > afpovertcp 548/tcp
> > afpovertcp 548/udp
> > I wonder if netatalk is not called via inetd.conf how is it run?
> > A rc script maybe and if so is a reference to tcpd required?
> > Please if anyone is successfully using tcpwrappers / netatalk I would greatly
> > hearing how you did it.
> > I am using tcpwrappers 7.6 netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a Sun Ultra5 / Solaris
> > 2.6
>
> You can compile afpd with tcp-wrappers support in it, so it will honor any
> directories itself. You don't need to call it within inetd or tcpd for
> this to work. The service name in your allow/deny files is "afpd".

Thanks for your quick response. Am I to leave the entry in services file? This
seems less than usefull without inetd calling afpd. I have compiled netatalk
with tcp wrappers support .. in the Makefile there is this reference to
tcpwrappers :
# Location of the tcp wrapper library and include files. Comment this out
# if you don't want tcp wrapper support. having tcp wrapper support is
# highly recommended.
TCPWRAPDIR=/usr/local/tcp_wrappers
I assume this to mean the directory that contains the source code. I have
tried this sixteen ways to sunday an I have yet to be able to control access
via hosts.allow
BTW:
 netatalk seems happy to compile regardless of what I put under the tcpwrapdir=

--
Steve Devine