Re: Basic permissions questions

Subject: Re: Basic permissions questions
From: HIROSE, Masaaki (hirose31@t3.rim.or.jp)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 08:33:13 EST

Hello,

on "Re: Basic permissions questions"
   <B6886BC3.26E4%basil.hussain@specialreserve.net>
at Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:56:35 +0000
   Basil Hussain <basil.hussain@specialreserve.net> wrote:

> > I saw another posting about file locking earlier today. I've never had a
> > problem with it. If two users open up the same Word file on the server,
> > for example, the second person to access it is asked if they want to open
> > it read-only since the file is already in use by someone else. *shrug*

> It sounds to me like that's maybe just MS Word doing that itself somehow.
> Through various versions of Netatalk installed on our servers I've never
> seen this happen using something like BBEdit or Photoshop on shared files.

Simple Text does.

Netatalk locks (flock() or fcntl()) resource fork file. On the other
hand, Samba locks (fcntl()) actual file (data fork).

I think,
if Netatalk locks data fork file (or Samba locks resource fork file),
users of Netatalk and Samba can open file exclusively with application
which supported lock system.

# I don't know why Netatalk locks resource fork not data fork.

How about this idea?

--
HIROSE, Masaaki