file / directory permissions

Subject: file / directory permissions
From: Menno Bockweg (menno@imco.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 09:41:48 EST

Hey all,

I've set up an netatalk server. The mac-users are organised in various
groups. Each group has it's own netatalk-volume. Each user is also
member of a "main" group. The main group (all users together) have
access to another netatalk-volume. The permission of the directory of
this "main"-volume should be ok, the groupbits are set to "rws" (chmod
2770..). Everything seems te be okay... The members can create
directories in the directory-root of the volume, move / create files in
their own created directories... but (!) they cannot create / move
files to the root directory. When they try to do so, they get an error
messages "You don't have the permissions to ... blah blah ...". What's
happening here ??
They have the right permissions to create directories but not to create
files ?!?!?

Really hope anyone could help me out here,

Thanx!

Menno