Re: OS X...

Subject: Re: OS X...
From: Maurice Volaski (mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 11:36:57 EST

>Hi everybody!
>
>Now that we've got a firm release date for OSX (March 24th), I'd
>like to know if anybody has been able to make this OS play well with
>Netatalk? If so, which version.
>
>I would also be interested in compiling a list of OS's people are
>using to host Netatalk, hardware used and file systems, etc. I am
>toying with the idea of putting this into a database in order to
>find the most reliable/cost effective platform. Any comments?

Check out the third paragraph below...

I want to let people know there are two issues with Mac OS X Server
1.2. There is no good reason to believe that the Mac OS X Beta is not
similarly affected.

The first problem occurs when attempting to fsck a UFS volume. fsck
will hang when executed. The problem occurs when using the Infortrend
IFT-3102U2G RAID controller on a 400GB volume. This hang will occur
even on a freshly-initialized disk in single-user mode. This problem
may be related to the volume size and not the RAID controller (as I
had previously believed). If you are using a relatively large disk or
any type of hardware RAID, you should backup your data and then test
whether a forced fsck works.

The second problem concerns HFS+. It happens when using netatalk or
samba to copy very large files (>> 100 MB) to the server, which will
cause the server (and hence the client) to stall. The larger the file
the longer the stall. For example, a 760MB file stalls for about 46
seconds. For files about 1 GB in size, the copy can fail and the
connection to the server lost!
Under Apple File Services, this stall occurs only when the file copy
is cancelled during mid-copy. This issue appears to occur on all HFS+
formatted volumes.

--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University