Re: Probably OT: netatalk + printing

Subject: Re: Probably OT: netatalk + printing
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 22:53:16 EST

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Carsten Neumann wrote:
>
> > I'm using netatalk (papd) to print from my Mac to a lpd printer on my linux box.
> > When I print from my Mac lpq shows:
> > Warning: queue is not active (no server present).
> > When I print locally everything is fine.
> >
> > If anyone can help please let me know.
>
> Need more details - what version of Linux is running the netatalk
> package, is there anything in the syslog on that box either by papd or
> lpd?
>
> I had to adjust a few permissions on the lpd spool and the printer socket
> with RedHat 6.2. I still have the disks around to look it up - we just
> upgraded to RedHat 7.0 and papd stopped working altogether due to lpd
> being replaced by lprng ...
>
> Michael

I'm running SuSE 6.3, kernel: 2.2.13, netatalk: 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-30, plp: 4.1.2-77.

There are some strange messages in /var/log/messages:
Jan 11 03:23:19 athlet papd[5733]: lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer: Connection refused
Jan 11 03:23:19 athlet papd[5733]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Connection refused

None of my printers is configured with an entry containing "/dev/printer".
There is no config file with this string.

Seems to be a problem in papd: guesses it has to print to a /dev/printer device!?

Could this lead to the problem that the daemon is not started?

Seems that replacing lpd by LPRng will not solve my problem. (Thought of this try.) :-(

        Carsten