Re: Some Minor Troubles w/netatalk 1.5pre3

Subject: Re: Some Minor Troubles w/netatalk 1.5pre3
From: Tara Piorkowski (tara@vilaj.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 20:04:54 EST

on 1/3/01 8:26 AM, Chris G. Sellers at sellers@Oakland.edu wrote:

Thanks, Chris, for the response. Here's the information you asked about...

> When this is done, you check for afpd and atalkd and they are not
> running??

No, they are both running, as shown in this ps.

  423 ? S 0:00 /opt/atalk-1.5pre3/sbin/atalkd
  443 ? S 0:00 /opt/atalk-1.5pre3/sbin/afpd -U uams_randnum.so
-g nobody -c 30 -n Okte

> The logs look somewhat normal.

Is the message, "eth0: multicast may not work correctly." a standard message
or is the daemon identifying a situation that is specific to a problemmatic
environment?

> The mulicast thing may be your culprit.

That's what I think, too, though I haven't been able to definitively
conclude this. Similarly, I haven't found a workaround.

> I would post your network model
> number, your OS (Linux Kernel 2.2.12, Solaris 8, FreeBSD, etc) and the
> /var/log/dmesg (or equivalent) for your network card startup to the
> netatalk list.

I'm running Linux 2.2.18. Here are relevant lines from dmesg...

NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0

TLAN 1.3c: eth0 irq=10 io=2c20, Compaq Netelligent Integrated 10/100 TX UTP,
Rev. 16

> That will get some people to notice what you are having
> problems with.
>
> Good luck....

Thanks again, Chris, and thanks to anyone else who can provide any
assistance.

Tara

--
Tara Piorkowski