file permissions

Subject: file permissions
From: Mike Egglestone (Mike_Egglestone@fc.schdist57.bc.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 19:24:49 EST

Hi....
I'm having some trouble with file permissions after the user
logs into the appleshare....(through the chooser)
I have a share from netatalk called "web"
its real location is here
/var/www/
I have given rwx permissions to the group of the folder "www" -R
so basically I did this......
cd /var
chgrp web www -R
chmod g+rwx www -R
when the user mounts the share "web"... all is good...
However they can't write to (the root) of the share....
if they go into the share.... a directory or more... then the permissions
work fine...
basically from the mac computer... they can write to here
/var/www/library/
but not here /var/www/
however.. if they log into the linux server directly (telnet in or
something) and access the /var/www folder...
they have their permissions with out problems....
Am I making sense?
I wondering if netatalk is somehow blocking the permissions on the root of
the mounted share....
Has anyone had this before?
Any help would be great!!!
thanks