Re: Netatalk flubs data on text files, not others

Subject: Re: Netatalk flubs data on text files, not others
From: Steve Freitas (steve@ihonk.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 16:11:14 EST

>Out of curiousity, does
>
> tr '\012' '\015' blah.iso | md5sum
>
>give you 'wxyz', or something different?

I had to do:

cat blah.iso | tr '\012' '\015' | md5sum

The result was something different entirely from 'abcd' or 'wxyz'.

But wait! I then did:

cat blah.iso | tr '\015' '\012' | md5sum

And I got 'wxyz'. So apparently Netatalk is changing my \015's to \012's
by default. Any developer have some insight on this? Is this indeed crlf
translation? I thought it was off -- I created a text file under Linux
and opened it with Simpletext; I got the funny block characters instead
of proper Mac linefeeds, so I thought crlf was off. Was I wrong?

Also, does anybody know how to turn off all text handling on Netatalk? I
looked in all the conf files but I couldn't see what to do. Having to
rename my files to 'blah.tar.gz' just to copy them unmolested to the Mac,
then renaming them after they've arrived seems a silly workaround.

And what are the downsides of turning off all text handling? Are text
files going to be become unreadable? Is my hair going to lose its natural
curl?

Steve